Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Changing the Constitution

I believe the Constitution is something many Americans are familiar with, yet have little idea of what it actually means. I have read it many times and done many assignments about it, but yet I'm still a little confused by some of it's language myself.

If I was given the power to change Article II, I would begin in Section 1. In this section it is stated that, "No person except a natural born citizen," may obtain the position of President. This seems absurd, especially in today's society. I can see why the Framers would have made this distinction when they were creating the Constitution due to the fear of British rule/influence, but today it seems that any citizen should be able to become president. If they have gone through the process of becoming a citizen, it shouldn't matter if they are born here, a citizen is a citizen. Personally, I would want the person that it the most well qualified governing the country and such things are not dependent on where some one is born. I do agree that there should be a requirement for age and years of residency, but leadership is not only found in America. I'm 100% sure that there are far more qualified people out there, who are not American, that could run this country better than many of our past presidents. 

But is there really any hope that the Constitution will be changed any time soon, if ever? I do hope so, although I'm not too optimistic. Other than changing the citizenship requirement i do not have too many other problems with Article II. I do think there could be more specification of the crimes eligible for impeachment. It states that a president can be impeached for "other high crimes," however I'm not quite sure what these "high" crimes are. I guess I'll go ponder that now...

 

No comments:

Post a Comment